ShinyProxy Feature Request (Multiple Login Fields)

Hi,

First and foremost, awesome work. I had thought about hacking something very similar to what you developed, but I am super happy you guys did it first, and I hope the exposure ShinyProxy brings to the company gives you all much fame and fortune!

Second, what about more than two login boxes at the login screen? For example, [Organization, User name, Password] would allow for finer tuning of user privileges. That is, many people from one organization may use ShinyProxy, so while Harold and Sally both work for Company X and both should have access to report Y only Sally should have privileges to see report Z.

Or, maybe John from Company X and John from Company Y both were lazy enough to choose the password 1234567890. This would not be a problem though, if they also had to put in the company they came from.

Anyway, just a thought of how to fine-tune user privileges and allow ShinyProxy to scale more easily.

-Brian

1 Like

Hi @bmuchmore,

Thanks for the positive feedback! ShinyProxy supports the use of LDAP groups for authorization (per app) so the scenario where both Harold and Sally should have access to report Y and only Sally should have privileges to see report Z is supported out of the box. As long as the authentication / authorization information is stored centrally (or accessible), this may also be used across organizations.

Best,
Tobias

Thanks Tobias. Yes, I did not think about LDAP carefully. However, my real issue is John and John from two organizations with the same password. Anyway, it is not anything that can’t be solved in a different manner. I was just hoping you guys would like the idea :slight_smile:

-Brian

Hi @bmuchmore,

I understand the problem you mention (and appreciate your feedback), but this seems more an issue of user management to be solved when users are added to the user database (LDAP or other) than an issue to be solved at the level of ShinyProxy. If e.g. you impose unique e-mail addresses, users could log on with e-mail address and password in ShinyProxy.

Best,
Tobias