Can not find application.yml

So, I installed docker-toolbox…
Followed all steps and have been able to get the euler app working.
Now, my next challenge is to activate security.

So, as far as I understand, my first step would be on the demo docker image is to change application-demo.yml into application.yml. And that would give me the demo docker container on which one needs to login.

As a linux noob… figured out where I should be able to find it… While via my command line I can find the euler dir, there is no where on the system the jar or the application file available. Feels like I am going insane…how do I get to the files?

Could it be… that using the docker demo image still require you to actually install the shiny proxy jar?
That step i did not take assuming it was already part of the docker image.

In the Dockerfile I used there are these lines:

install shinyproxy package with demo shiny application

COPY shinyproxy_0.0.1.tar.gz /root/
RUN R CMD INSTALL /root/shinyproxy_0.0.1.tar.gz
RUN rm /root/shinyproxy_0.0.1.tar.gz

This does not install the shinyproxy jar. Only adds a number of R scripts.

1 Like

Hi @Emile_Bakker,

The Docker images are indeed only one side of the story. ShinyProxy is the application that will take care of log in, and run Docker containers when users click on the app links. It does not require any specific installation, though. I you have a Java 8 version on your system, you should be able to just download the jar file from http://www.shinyproxy.io/downloads/ and run it using

java -jar shinyproxy-0.7.8.jar

If you do not put a file application.yml in the same folder as the shinyproxy-0.7.8.jar file, the default settings will be used. If you want to customize (e.g. to authenticate against your servers, to run your custom docker containers etc.) you will need to use this application.yml.

For more information on getting started (e.g. the Java to use), see http://www.shinyproxy.io/getting-started/
For more information on the configuration inside the application.yml file, see http://www.shinyproxy.io/configuration/

Hope this helps!

Best,
Tobias

1 Like

Oke, I got a lot further. Installed a ubuntu vm on my virtual box. Installed docker on it, and installed shinyproxy on it.
Via the direct sudo docker run hint I did get some R code running. But… when starting the shinyproxy I get the following error:

Exception in thread “main” java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at org.springframework.boot.loader.MainMethodRunner.run(MainMethodRunner.java:62)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Caused by: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at org.springframework.boot.loader.MainMethodRunner.run(MainMethodRunner.java:54)
… 1 more
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.net.BindException: Address already in use
at io.undertow.Undertow.start(Undertow.java:203)
at org.springframework.boot.context.embedded.undertow.UndertowEmbeddedServletContainer.start(UndertowEmbeddedServletContainer.java:121)
at org.springframework.boot.context.embedded.EmbeddedWebApplicationContext.startEmbeddedServletContainer(EmbeddedWebApplicationContext.java:293)
at org.springframework.boot.context.embedded.EmbeddedWebApplicationContext.finishRefresh(EmbeddedWebApplicationContext.java:141)
at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.refresh(AbstractApplicationContext.java:541)
at org.springframework.boot.context.embedded.EmbeddedWebApplicationContext.refresh(EmbeddedWebApplicationContext.java:118)
at org.springframework.boot.SpringApplication.refresh(SpringApplication.java:766)
at org.springframework.boot.SpringApplication.createAndRefreshContext(SpringApplication.java:361)
at org.springframework.boot.SpringApplication.run(SpringApplication.java:307)
at eu.openanalytics.ShinyProxyApplication.main(ShinyProxyApplication.java:66)
… 6 more
Caused by: java.net.BindException: Address already in use
at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind0(Native Method)
at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind(Net.java:433)
at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind(Net.java:425)
at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketChannelImpl.bind(ServerSocketChannelImpl.java:223)
at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketAdaptor.bind(ServerSocketAdaptor.java:74)
at org.xnio.nio.NioXnioWorker.createTcpConnectionServer(NioXnioWorker.java:190)
at org.xnio.XnioWorker.createStreamConnectionServer(XnioWorker.java:243)
at io.undertow.Undertow.start(Undertow.java:163)
… 15 more

Hi @Emile_Bakker,

Could it be you already run a process on port 8080 (e.g. a Tomcat server)?

ShinyProxy uses 8080 by default (this can be changed in the application.yml)

That did the trick, thanks! Got it going now. I love this!

No problem, @Emile_Bakker. We have added this case to the troubleshooting section at
http://www.shinyproxy.io/troubleshooting/#address-already-in-use

Thanks again for your feedback!

Best,
Tobias