Per-container logging

I must be missing something obvious.

Reading here I added this line to my application.yml. The directory exists. But after restart, and running a few containers, I see no entries in that directory.

proxy:
container-log-path: ./container-logs

Suggestions? Thanks!

Hi,

try with absolute path. I had similar problems, the cause was the confusion around the working directory of the shinyproxy. Another hint: check the permission settings of the directory.

Tibor

Thank you, Tibor.

I now have

container-log-path: /etc/shinyproxy/container-logs

and

ls -lad /etc/shinyproxy/container-logs

drwxrwxrwx 2 shinyproxy shinyproxy 6 Dec 10 10:23 /etc/shinyproxy/container-logs

After shinyproxy restart, no change: nothing is written into container-logs, no diagnostic message in shinyproxy.log

Any other suggestions? It would be really great to get this working.

• Paul

I’ll be most grateful if you can suggest how I can debug this problem. The lack of per-container logs is a serious matter for us!

Some ideas for debugging:

• Which version of shinyproxy do you use? Can you try with the latest version?
  • Could you make sure the configuration is correctly specified in yaml (i.e. under proxy settings on the same level as title, specs etc)
proxy:
  title: ...
  container-log-path: /etc/shinyproxy/container-logs
  specs:
  - id: ...
  • Can you have a look at the shinyproxy.log file for containerproxy.service.LogService entries. Normally you should see a line like
2018-12-24 09:52:41.003  INFO 24859 --- [main] e.o.containerproxy.service.LogService    : Container logging enabled. Log files will be saved to /etc/shinyproxy/container-logs

If instead there are errors, error messages might help to identify the problem…

1 Like

Hi Maxim,

Thank you - a lot! - for your suggestions.

We are currently running shinyProxy v1.1.1 - so the next move for us is to upgrade to 2.1.0

I will followup with a report on per-container logging once the upgrade is complete - hoping that I can then say “per-container logging works as expected”.

• Paul

Hi all, I think I have something similar here. I noticed that no container logs are generated, and then also that no logs are created at all (shinyproxy.log neither).
Maybe I misconfigured something, or missing some options.

Environment

Summary

Ubuntu 18.04
shinyproxy_2.1.0 (from deb)

proxy:
  title: ***
  landing-page: /
  heartbeat-rate: 10000
  heartbeat-timeout: 60000
  port: 8080
  authentication: none
  container-wait-time: 120000
  docker:
	cert-path: /home/none
	url: http://localhost:2375
	port-range-start: 20000
  support:
	mail-to-address: ***@***.com
  container-log-path: /var/log/shinyproxy/container-logs
  specs:
logging:
  file:
    /var/log/shinyproxy/shinyproxy.log

Hi @LKU_GLPG,

If you run shinyproxy from terminal, do you see any relevant output? E.g. Failed to initialize container logging directory...

Does the user running shinyproxy have write access in /var/log/shinyproxy/ ?

Nope, there was no such message. Nevertheless, you were right. It was a permission problem! Thanks!