Running shinyproxy from the .deb package

To launch shinyproxy, I use the debian package (running in Ubuntu 16.04). I’m guessing the benefits of using this package is that it creates an autostart in systemctl - is this right? Why use the deb over the jar?

When I run:
sudo dpkg -i shinyproxy_1.0.2_all.deb
I can sucessfully see and log into the demo area (with user tesla and applications “Hello Application” and “06_tabsets”).

The package appears to install the jar file to /opt/shinyproxy/.
How do I run custom applications (e.g. the Euler app) from this point? Do I have to navigate to /opt/shinyproxy/ and re-launch the java file, as the isntructions state on the website?

Sorry for the noob question! Thanks for the great work!

Hi @fifthace,

If you use the .deb package, you can

• edit the /etc/shinyproxy/application.yml to add new applications
  • use sudo service shinyproxy restart or equivalent to restart the ShinyProxy server such that it reads in the new configuration

Other than that, the deployment of applications is not different from what is described on https://www.shinyproxy.io/deploying-apps/

Please note that there is a more recent version of ShinyProxy available (1.1.0) on the downloads page (since yesterday).

Hope this helps!

Best,
Tobias

1 Like

Thanks Tobias.
After I edited the /etc/shinyproxy/application.yml file (and not the /opt/shinyproxy/application.yml file), then my own settings (users/images) were loaded at boot.
I’m looking forward to trying 1.1.0 on kubernetes!

1 Like