Self-hosted shinyproxy (3.0.2) behind a nginx fails to start R-Shiny applications in Chromium based browsers (e.g. Chrome > v81)

Dear ShinyProxy community,

This is a cross post from:

First of all, thank you for providing that nifty tool for orchestrating R-Shiny applications :slight_smile:

We plan to use it at Centro nacional de anĂ¡lisis genĂ³mico for making our R-Shiny applications publicly visible.

After a lot of back and forth tweaking the nginx config we have it now finally working on our production server
for the following browsers:

• Firefox 122.0
  • Safari

However, unfortunately starting an application fails for all chromium based browsers.
Meaning the screen turns white and the developer console shows the following error:

Uncaught ReferenceError: $ is not defined

Note that it does not matter which application is started. The same error arises when trying to launch your demo application.

Used Shinyproxy image: openanalytics/shinyproxy:3.0.2

What we figured out so far when trying to find the root cause:

At first we thought maybe jquery is not loaded correctly in chromium based browsers but
webjars/jquery/3.6.1/jquery.min.js shows a 200

Then we played with the security setting of the browser and realized that with a CSP chrome extension
enabled the chromium based browsers are working as expected.

Obviously we:
a) do not want to limit our potential users to only use Firefox/Safari,
b) cannot ask our users to install a CSP addon
c) cannot disable CSP on the nginx level due to security reasons

So this issue not only goes out to the developers but all the others
who are currently self-hosting a public facing Shinyproxy instance (behind an nginx)
to understand if we are only ones affected by some recent Chromium update* ? :thinking:

Old Chrome versions: 81.0.4044.92 (Official Build) (64-bit) found on Slimjet
Release date of v81: 2022-05-30
Command to run the old versions: /usr/bin/google-chrome-stable --user-data-dir=/tmp/chrome_new_profile --no-sandbox

=> All (slimjet) Chrome versions above v81 are running into the error described above.

In my opinion it is highly unlikely that this issue is restricted only to us.
However, double checking the issues on your GitHub repo and also here.
I have not found anyone else yet reporting that(?)

Let me know if this issue fits on here otherwise
or it is better suited for your GitHub repo?
If the latter, I will close the topic here.

Kind regards,
Ivo