Shiny bookmarking the state in URL

Hi Tobias & Team,

first of all, thanks again for ShinyProxy – a very happy end user here :slight_smile:

I have a question similar to Pass custom arguments to the Shiny app – but not only on passing data to Shiny via URL params, but also to update the URL of the app as per the bookmarking feature of Shiny: https://shiny.rstudio.com/articles/bookmarking-state.html

It seems that the URL of the app is always static (domain/app/foobar) despite setting in the app:

onBookmarked(function(url) { updateQueryString(url) })

Do you have any suggestions on how to enable bookmarking in apps behind ShinyProxy?

Thanks,
Gergely

Hi @daroczig,

I suspect it isn’t working because ShinyProxy apps run inside an iframe. This imposes some different rules when a script tries to access the browser’s location bar.

That being said, ShinyProxy does support query strings: if you append a query string to the URL, this query string will get forwarded to the shiny app. E.g.

domain/app/foobar?arg=query_string

Regards,
Frederick

Hi Frederick,

Am LOVING shinyproxy!

On the topic of bookmarks though, it seems the query strings are being suppressed by Shiny proxy.

Am am trying with the sample from the shiny site

# Update the browser's location bar every time an input changes. This should
# not be used with enableBookmarking("server"), because that would create a
# new saved state on disk every time the user changes an input.
ui <- function(req) {
  fluidPage(
    textInput("txt", "Text"),
    checkboxInput("chk", "Checkbox")
  )
}
server <- function(input, output, session) {
  observe({
    # Trigger this observer every time an input changes
    reactiveValuesToList(input)
    session$doBookmark()
  })
  onBookmarked(function(url) {
    updateQueryString(url)
  })
}
enableBookmarking("url")
shinyApp(ui, server) 

But I don’t seem to get any query params. Running the app docker container free-standing outside of shinyproxy works fine.

Is there some configuration setting for this please?

thanks!