Shiny progressive web app on shinyproxy

Is it possible to host a shiny progressive web app on a shinyproxy using user authentication (e.g. keycloak)?

Hi

Currently we don’t have much experience with hosting PWA using ShinyProxy, although I think it should be possible. We may further try this out in the future. In that case, I’ll share our experience here.

1 Like

“Progressive Web App” is just a design philosophy about how a Single Page App should behave and load. You can follow those principles when making your shiny app by doing your best to minimize startup time.

In order to host a PWA, certain prerequisites need to be met, i.e. the app needs a web manifest. Unfortunately, the manifest and other components are not visible to the browser, if the PWA shiny app is hosted on ShinyProxy. Therefore, the PWA cannot be installed and PWA features are not available. On the other hand, using the same shiny app on a shiny server works. It would be really great if this worked on shinyproxy, because it would lift the usability of shiny apps on shinyproxy to a whole new level!

Thank you for any advice!

All the best,
Hans